Tuesday 19 April 2011

The house that built me

As most of you know, I HATE my house.  Really hate it.  It is ugly on the outside and in constant renovation on the inside.  Ty has completely redone the first two floors (it is a four level split) with the exception of our room, but now even THAT is getting worn down, with plaster patches on the walls and missing baseboards, etc.  It just seems like it is a never ending project.

The problem is, that with the exception of 4 (very pregnant) months, I have been in school (i.e: not earning hardly any money) so renovations are done in small batches or not at all.  And now that I am on Mat Leave, I am still not earning a good income.  Oh, and there is the small matter of the trips we are going on this summer eating up a lot of our spare income.

I know, poor me.  We get to go away to beautiful and warm places.  But just remember, that means I have to leave those places and come back to this house!

I know it will get better.  Our plans for this summer are the roof and painting the outside of the house which will make a HUGE difference.  Hopefully we will get to the bedroom too. 

That all being said, there are a lot of things I love about this house.  Ty and I were a fresh faced 21 years old when we bought it.  Look at us!




He has completely transformed the living area on the top two levels with his own two hands.  We have celebrated many occassions with many friends and much alcohol in this house.  Ok, maybe sometimes they weren't for any special occassion, but it was fun anyway!

This is the house where I wrote papers and studied for my first degree in 2005

This is the house where we celebrated our engagement in 2006

These are the doors we walked through as a married couple in 2007


This is the house that we brought our dog Daisy's ashes home to in 2008

This is where we danced for joy and then mourned the loss of a pregnancy in 2009

This is the house where I again studied (albeit, much less) for my second degree in 2010


This is the house we brought our baby Abrielle home to in 2010



And in 2011, this is the house where so many more amazing memories are being made.  I know I will always treasure times like I am having just now, sitting at the kitchen table eating toast and drinking coffee, watching my little bumblebee eat cheerios (and drop just as many to Bo, who is literally laying under her high chair) and babble happily. 

So, maybe it is true what they say.  It isn't what's on the outside that counts.  It's on the inside, and what is on the inside of this house is a lot of happiness and love.



Ok, maybe I don't hate my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment