Tuesday 28 June 2011

Eggplant recipe overload!

My friend Bev asked for some eggplant recipes, so I thought I would share a few that my family likes.  First though, a tip regarding selecting eggplants.  The smaller, the less bitter they are.  If you buy a big ol' eggplant, chop it up and throw it into a stir fry or sauce, it is going to be GROSS.  For recipes like that, select Japanese (baby) eggplant.

OK, so you have a big ass eggplant...what to do?  Here are my three favourites:

Katie's F'ed Up Healthy Sh!t Dip

So named by my brother in law who loves this dip, but actually hates every single ingredient in it.  Hence the F'ed up part!  You can also use this as a sauce for pasta or rice.

Ingredients

1 large eggplant
1 red pepper
2 zucchinis
3 tomatoes
1 head garlic
1 handful parsley
1 red onion
2 tbsp ketchup
salt and pepper to taste

Rough chop eggplant, pepper, onion, tomato and zucchini  and place on cookie sheet.  Add cloves of garlic, and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Roast at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes.

Allow to cool slightly and then pulse in a food processor until very lumpy, but mixed.  Add a handful of parsley and 2 tbsp ketchup, continue to puree to a grainy texture.  Best served warm.

Eggplant Lasagna (Vegan..feel free to add cheese)

4-5 Japanese eggplant
2 cans tomato sauce
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
3 handfuls spinach
olive oil
1 onion
1 handful mushroom

On a mandolin, or using a very sharp knife, slice eggplant as thin as possible to make "noodles"
Boil eggplant until soft
Sautee remaining veggies in olive oil until semi-soft, add spinach and allow to wilt.
Layer eggplant noodles, sauce and veggies into a lasagna, bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes.

Eggplant Parmigiana

1 large eggplant
1 cup soy milk
1 can crushed tomato
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
olive oil
1 green pepper
1 zucchini
1 onion
1 handful mushrooms
1 tbsp Italian seasoning

Sautee onion, mushroom, green pepper, and zucchini (all diced) until soft, and then add can of crushed tomato and Italian seasoning.  Allow to simmer.
Slice eggplant thinly and allow to soak in soy milk as you preheat a skillet with olive oil about 1 inch deep.
Combine flour and cornmeal and dredge eggplant slices, fry 2-3 at a time until crispy and golden.  Serve immediately with marinara sauce made above, and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for commenting and letting me know about your blog! I am a vegetarian but I am totally conflicted about eating eggs/dairy so I go through vegan phases - but I find it so hard to my husband doesn't like to eat vegan (he doesn't mind eating vegetarian, but can't go without the eggs/dairy). I will have to try some of your deliscious looking recipes and try to win my husband over :) I am excited to try these eggplant recipes!

    ReplyDelete