Tuesday 17 May 2011

Attempting to get "back" into the swing of things

Caution:  This blog was written under the influence of (prescription) narcotics

I've missed my blog!  When we were in Phoenix the condo had NO WIFI (I know, horrible, right?) and I was not willing to attempt a full post on my phone. So, it has been a while, and although I wont recap the whole trip today, I will do a little catch up.

The vacation was great, Abby is an amazing traveller and a champ at flying.  The only hitch in the vacation started around Wednesday night of our last week when my back started getting sore and I was having trouble standing up straight.  Now, for any of you mothers out there, you know:  this is a problem.  Seeing as my piggy pants 7.5 month old now weighs 15.5 lbs, this was trouble.  About 3 years ago I was in a really minor car accident where I was rear ended, and about once or twice a year my back goes out to the point where I am pretty much bed ridden.

So, Thursday morning, Carman and I set off with our good old buddy Samantha, (the often but not always accurate GPS) and got massages.  The minute Ranita (my RMT) touched my back, she knew I had recently had a baby and said I was all out of alignment.  Awesome. She focused the massage completely on my back and hips and it felt wonderful...until it was time to roll over on the table.  Then I knew I was in even worse shape than I had come in at.  I am sure it was just a matter of her relaxing some muscles that were keeping everything else in check, but before I was even dressed I was in a bit of a panic mode...I couldn't even walk without supporting myself on one leg. 

Yes friends, I was walking around like Quasimodo...with hemorrhoids.  So attractive.

Long story short, it wasn't better by Friday and I was really starting to panic.  We were flying out that day, but Ty and Rick were driving on to Vegas, so it was just us girls. Carman and I had to drive about an hour to the airport, fly for 2 hours, and then drive for another 3.  Thank GOD she was there, because she was essentially a pack mule for all of our things, and didn't even panic as we were sitting in the 100 degree heat trying to wrestle the car seat base out of the rental for 30 minutes.  GAWD.  But we made it!

Saturday morning it took me (no exaggeration) about 10 minutes to get out of bed.  Every angle I tried led to a prohibitive amount of pain.  After finally getting myself out of bed, then Abby out of her crib, changed and fed, I somehow managed to get her into her exersaucer.  At that point, I called my mother in law Terri, and at 8:30 in the morning on a Saturday, she came over and rescued me.  I mean, really rescued me.  She took Abby over to her house, bought her baby food (of course, I didn't have any made since we were on vacation), bathed her, took care of her and let me rest.  Not only that, but she took her for the night too. 

Sunday morning my sister called and offered to take me to the hospital, which I initially refused.  Less than an hour later I called her back and off we went.   I was unable to straighten up out of an S shape when I was standing and was in a LOT of pain, no matter what position I stood/sat/lay in.

I was taken to fast track in the ER after probably less than half an hour, and the triage nurse actually offered me a wheelchairair due to my crooked gait.  An hour after that I was all set with a morphine/gravol injection and toradol injection. 

Now, I am not trying to sound like a huge martyr, but I can see how much pain I was in by the fact that morphine normally knocks me out...like, for 12 hours unconscious.  I had morphine, percocet (or, Erky Perkies as I like to call them), and T3s on board (prescription, relax) and I was still awake...what the heck? 

So, my wonderful sister not only shuttled me to the hospital on Sunday, but took care of my baby Monday morning before her babysitter came over (thanks Nancy!), and then my Mom took over from there.  Also, she has had Abby since 6:45 this morning and is keeping her until Ty gets home.

I am so freakin' lucky to have such great family.

Now for a bit of complaining.  I feel like the worst mother in the world.  I know that I can't take care of Abbers properly and that I would be doing a lot of damage by keeping her here with me.  Also, because of the T3s and Erky Perkies, I am sleeping a lot of my day away and I worry that I wouldn't be "all there" for her.  But, I have never had a situation where I couldn't take care of my own baby.  I can't even nurse her because of the medication I am on.  Initially, I was just going to let myself dry up and have her be a bottle baby, but I can't do it.  I'm not ready yet.  Ty put her in my arms yesterday morning while he was getting her bottle ready and she nestled her sleepy little self right into me and started pulling at my shirt and actually got frantic trying to nurse.  It was enough to almost break my heart, so that settled it.  Now, I have to pump (my favourite thing to do...ugh) throughout the day, which is tough, because it also means I have to sit upright for at least half an hour at a time.

Whine whine whine, complain complain complain.  Sorry.

My eyes are getting heavy and I really can't sit anymore, so I will sign off, and hopefully tomorrow I will be in fine form, with my baby here with me, and not under the influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment