Thursday 26 May 2011

Raisin Bread: For the love of carbs

Can you believe that this is figure friendly?

Every morning I have raisin toast with peanut butter for breakfast.  Every morning.  Well, with the exception of when I am away (particularily when we went to Cranbrook, and the entire town was devoid of raisin bread.  Whatever).

I make my own, because it is even more delicious than store bought and I have modified a Weight Watchers recipe so that I don't have to feel completely terrible about scarfing it back every morning.   This is (naturally) vegan, but you can substitute the...well...substitute for an actual egg and use real milk and I am sure it would work just fine!

2/3 c + 2 tbsps warm water (omit the 2 tbsp if you are using a real egg)
1/2 cup soy milk
1 tsp egg substitute ( I really like panne riso)
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp margarine
2 3/4 cup flour ( I like to use 1 cup white and the rest whole wheat, otherwise this gets really dense)
1/2 c raisins (or as many as you like, I just don't love  ton of raisins!)
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp yeast
2 tsp cinammon

Add the ingredients in that order to your bread maker and use the sweet setting...ignore the add in beeper.  Or, if you are doing it by hand, knead, let rise and bake for about an hour.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment