Saturday 21 May 2011

Indian Curry Stew with Naan Bread

Tonight for dinner I was going to be lazy and do veggie nuggets, roast some sweet potato and maybe some spinach.  Then Tyler inquired for about the 3rd time this week if we were having curry. 

Yes, the man who refused to try any ethnic food not found in a food court is asking for Indian.

So, off to work I set.  This dish does take a little while to actually simmer, but isn't at all labor intensive.  The naan bread...well...here is the story on that.  I had never made it before and all of the recipes online looked really time consuming and complicated.  So, without measuring I threw stuff in my bread maker and let it work for about 20 minutes.  Turns out we had a winner!  Not sure if I could ever duplicate it, but I will try.

Here are the recipes

Indian Curry Stew

Onion (diced)
Carrots (diced)
Green Peppers (diced)
Can of coconut milk
Lentils
Madras curry powder (or your fave curry)
2 potatoes, baked and cubed
2 sweet potatoes, baked and cubed
Soy milk

Sautee onions, carrots and peppers in olive oil until semi-soft.  Add in sweet potato, potato and lentils.  Add in one can of coconut milk and about half a cup of soy milk, and as much curry powder as you like.  Bring to a boil, and then simmer while stirring frequently until thick.

Naan Bread (as best as I remember)

1 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
1.5 tsp yeast
flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
garlic powder

Dissolve sugar in water, and then add the yeast until active (bubbly and kind of frothy...it will look a bit like miso soup).  Pour into bread maker and add about 2 cups of flour, baking powder, garlic powder and salt.  Use dough setting (or knead if doing by hand) and add flour until dough is stretchy and elastic and easy to handle.  Form ovals and fry until golden brown in a greased fry pan.

I swear, it tastes better than it looks!

Everyone loved it!  Abby got a bit of a deconstructed curry. although I did let her try the sauce because I made it pretty mild. She especially loved the naan!  A carb freak after my own heart.
The cheerios weren't actually part
of the dish, but made a lovely
side for Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment