Friday 20 May 2011

Summer dinner on a dreary day

I got a surprise call from one of my best friends Rachel this morning who I haven't seen in a few weeks.  Thankfully she was free for dinner, so we threw together a quick little something-something.

Pasta Salad

Easily one of my fave summer meals, because you can load it with nutritious veggies, use whole wheat pasta and eat it for a whole week. Tonight I used snap peas, cherry tomato, kalmata olives, broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms. I find that this is the kind of thing that just gets better and better the longer it sits in the fridge (within reason...).  For a dressing I use a Tuscan Italian from the bottle.  For extra protein, you could add some chia seeds or chickpeas, which I didn't do tonight, but they are a delicious add in. So easy!


Italian Buns

I combined my pizza dough recipe with a bun recipe (basically adding in some margarine, removing some salt from the dough itself and topping the buns with it instead). I use a 2/3-1/3 whole wheat to white flour blend so that these buns are really light and flaky. Rachel even took some home, so it is not just me telling you they are good!  It is super fast and easy, and to get a nice shape I just stretch a ball of dough and then wrap it around my fingers






 These babies really puff up after proofing!  I brushed them with margarine, and topped with a little sea salt.

Cinnamon Buns
Also now known as Rapture Buns...due to the "upcoming" rapture.  I use a plain old roll recipe, and then top it with margarine, cinnamon, cane sugar and brown sugar.  Delicious!










I roasted some asparagus with olive oil and sea salt in the oven for a side dish. Ty also grilled up some steaks for the carnivores at the table.. picture not featured but here is the chef.  Can you guess who his fave team is?  And that is also a Canuck's hat, you just can't see the emblem in this picture.

I couldn't figure out how to rotate this, sorry!


A delicious (completely vegan, with the exception of the steak) meal, done in almost no time at all!  If you want any complete recipes, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment